White and Green Church
Gjogv, Eysturoy, Faroe Islands
The white and green church was built in 1929. It was here that the first consecration service was held in Faroese, marking a major milestone in the acceptance of Faroese, not Danish, as the national language. In 1870 half the male population of Gjogv was drowned when two eight-man boats went down.